In Imperative sentences, we change the Reporting Verb according to the sense of the sentence of Reported Speech.
If there is a sense of Order we change Reporting Verb [Said To] into Ordered.
Example:- My teacher said to me,”Bring your copy.”
My teacher ordered me to bring my copy.
If there is a sense of Advice we change Reporting Verb [Said To] into Advised.
Example:- She said to Reena,”Work hard.”
She advised Reena to work hard.
If there is a sense of Request we change Reporting Verb [Said To] into Requested. If in reported speech there is Sir, Kindly and Please etc we change the reporting verb into Requested.
Example:- The boy said to me,”Please help me.”
The boy requested me to help him.”
In Imperative Sentence we use TO as conjunction.We write the verb of reported speech after conjunction and make the verb Infinitive.
Example:- He said to me,”Please give me water.”
He requested me to give him water.
After it we change Tenses, Pronouns, Nearness of time or position according to the rules.[link of basic rules.]
There are two rules to change a negative imperative sentence into Indirect Speech-
In Negative Sentences, we change Reporting Verb [Said To] into Forbade and then use conjunction TO before the verb of reported speech.
Example:- My father said to me,”Do not waste your time.”
My father forbade me to waste my time.
In other conditions we change reported speech [Said To] according to the sense into Requested,Ordered,Advised etc then we use Not to before the verb of reported speech.
Example:- The teacher said to him,”Do not write here.”
The teacher ordered him not to write there.
We do not use Forbade in Never type sentences.
Example:- The teacher said to the students,”Never tell a lie.”
The teacher ordered the students never to tell a lie.”
How to change Let Us type sentences into Indirect Speech.
In Imperative Sentence if there is Let Us we change it into Indirect Speech according to the following rules-
We change Reporting Verb [said to] into Suggested to.
We use conjunction That.
Example:- He said to me,”Let us play cricket.”
He suggested to me that we should play cricket.
We change Let Us into They or We according to the reporting clause.
If in the reporting clause there is First Person either as Subject or Object we change Us into We.
- He said to me,”Let us play cricket.”
- He suggested to me that we should play cricket.
- I said to him,”Let us go there.”
- I suggested to him that we should go there.
If the Subject and Object of the reporting clause both are Third Person we change Us into They.
- He said to his friend,”Let us drink juice.”
- He suggested to his friend that they should drink juice.
After changing Let Us into We or They, we write Should+Verb+Object……and we change Nearness of Time or Position according to the rules.[link of basic rule]
- The teacher said to Ram,”Bring your exercise book to me.”
- The servant said to the manager,”Please give me my money.”
- The nurse said to the visitor,”Keep quiet in the hospital,”
- The man said to his son,”Do your work properly and regularly.”
- The boy said the teacher,”Sir,explain this story again.”
- The principal said to the peon,”Go and ring the bell.”
- The poor man said to the passerby,”Kindly help me and my hungry children.”
- “Be quiet and have patience.”Socrates said.
- Mr.Sharma said to his servant,”Clean the table properly.”
- The refugee girl said to him,”Please buy my basket.”
- He said to his friend,”Do not throw the ball so fast.”
- The doctor said to the patient,”Do not smoke.”
- The father said to his children,”Do not play in the sun.”
- The man said to his wife,”Please do not disturb the sleeping child.”
- The speaker said to the people,”Please do not cut the tree.
- The philosopher said to his follower,”Never be afraid of anyone.”
- The teacher said to the students,”Never tell a lie.”
- My grandfather said to me,”Never insult anyone.”
- My friend said to me,”Never dismiss your friends in difficulties.”
- He said to me,”please never quarrel with each other.”
- I said to my brother,”Let us play football.”
- They said to me,”Let us go for a trip tomorrow.”
- Ravi said to Sohan,”Let us go to the river site.”
- My teacher said,”Let us read a new story.”
- He said to his old friend,”Let us be true for each other.”
Content Writer– Mohammad Anas.….. Edited by– Shadab Akhtar.