A mother duck and her little ducklings were on their way to a lake one day. The ducklings were very happy following their mother and quack-quacking along the way.
All of a sudden, the mother duck saw a fox at a distance. She was frightened, and shouted, “Children, hurry to the lake. There’s a fox!”
The ducklings hurried towards the lake. The mother duck wondered what to do. Then she began to walk back and forth dragging one wing on the ground.
When the fox saw her, he became happy. He said to himself, “It seems she’s hurt and can’t fly! I can easily catch and eat her!” He ran towards her.
The mother duck ran, leading the fox away from the lake. The fox followed her. Now he wouldn’t be able to harm her ducklings. The mother duck looked towards her ducklings and saw that they had reached the lake. She was relieved, so she stopped and took a deep breath.
The fox thought that she was tired and he came closer, but the mother duck quickly spread her wings and rose up in the air. She landed in the middle of the lake and her ducklings swam to her.
The fox stared in disbelief at the mother duck and her ducklings. The mother duck had tricked him cleverly. Now he could not reach them because they were in the middle of the lake.
Answer the Following Questions
- Why was mother duck frightened?
- What did the fox think when he saw the mother duck?
- How did the mother duck trick the fox?
- Why the fox was unable to reach the duck and her duckling at last?
- What did the mother duck say to her duckling?
- What do you understand by ‘walk back and forth’?
- Write the meaning of relieve.