Syllabus and Question Pattern| 9th class (2020-21) | Complete solution|CBSE|UP Board
- Section-A Reading Skills
- Section-B Writing Skills And Grammar
- Section-C Literature Textbook And Supplementary Reading
Part A- Reading Unseen Passage|Literature|Grammar (40 Marks)
Reading Unseen Passage
- Multiple Choice Questions based on a Discursive passage of 400-450 words to test inference, evaluation and vocabulary. Ten out of twelve questions to be answered. 10×1=10
- Multiple Choice Questions based on a Case-based factual passage (with visual input- statistical data, chart etc.) of 200-250 words to test analysis and interpretation. Ten out of twelve questions to be answered. (10×1=10)
Literature Textbooks ( 10-Marks)
- Multiple Choice Questions based on an extract from drama/prose to test inference, evaluation and vocabulary. Any 1 out of 2 extracts to be done. (5×1=5)
- Multiple Choice Questions based on an extract from poetry to test analysis and interpretation. Any 1 out of 2 extracts to be done (5×1=5)
Ten Multiple Choice Questions, out of twelve, to be answered. Questions shall be based on the following
- Subject-verb concord
- Reported speech (Commands and requests, Statements, Questions)
Part B-Writing and Literature (Mark 40)
Writing and Composition 10 Marks
- Writing a Descriptive Paragraph (word limit 100-120 words) on a person or a diary entry based on visual or verbal cue/s. One out of two questions is to be answered. 5 Marks
- Writing a story (word limit 100-120 words) on the basis of given cue/s . One out of two questions is to be answered. 5 Marks
Literature- Q&A (Marks-30)
In this section, four questions will be asked based on the literature textbook and extended reading text:
- Question number 8 has a choice between two extracts from poetry and play. Four objective type questions will be asked to test interpretation. It carries 4 marks in all.
- Question number 9 has five short answer type questions from literature textbook. Each question carries 2 marks.
- Question number 10 has a choice between two Long Answer type Questions from Beehive and Moment (Supplementary Readers) Without Feet. It carries 8 marks.
Question number 11 also has a choice between two very Long Answer Questions based on prescribed extended reading text. It carries 10 Marks.
Beehive NCERT class 9th
- The Fun They Had [Written by Isaac Asimov]
- The Sound of Music [Written by Deborah Cowley]
- The Little Girl [Written by Katherine Mansfield]
- A Truly Beautiful Mind
- The Snake and The Mirror.[Written by Vaikom Muhammad Basheer]
- My Childhood.[Written by A.P.J.Abdul Kalam]
- Packing.[Written by Jerome K.Jerome.]
- Reach for the Top. [Written by-
- The Bond of Love.[Written by Kenneth Anderson.]
- Kathmandu [Written by Vikram Seth]
- If I Were You.[Written by Douglas James]
- The Road Not Taken.[Composed by Robert Frost]
- Wind.[Composed by Subramania Bharati]
- Rain on the Roof.[Composed by Coates Kinney]
- The Lake Isle of Innisfree.[Composed by William Bulter Yeats]
- A Legend of the Northland.[Composed by Phoebe Cary]
- No Men are Foreign.[Composed by James Kirkup]
- The Duck and the Kangaroo.[Composed by Edward Lear]
- On Killing a Tree.[Composed by Gieve Patel]
- The Snake Trying.[Composed by W.W.E. Ross]
- A Slumber Did My Spirit Seal.[Composed by William Wordsworth]
Moments NCERT Class 9th
- The Lost Child by Mulk Raj Anand.
- The Adventures of Toto by Ruskin Bond
- Iswaran the Story Teller by R.K. Laxman
- In the Kingdom of Fools by Kannada Folktale [ed] A.K. Ramanujan
- The Happy Prince by Oscar Wilde
- Weathering the Storm in Ersama by Harsh Mander.
- The Last Leaf by O.Henry.
- A House is Not a Home by Zan Gaudioso.
- The Accidental Tourist by Bill Bryson.
- The Beggar by Anton Chekhov.