A king had a large number of slaves. One of them was very black. He was true to the king. So, the king loved him greatly.
One day the king went out on a camel. Some slaves walked in front of the king. Others went behind the king. The black slave rode on a horse by the side of his master – The King.
The King had a box. There were pearls in it. On the way the box fell down in a narrow street. It broke into pieces. The pearls rolled on the ground.
The king said to his slaves. “Go and take the pearls. I do not want them any longer,” said the king.
The slaves ran and gathered the pearls. They took those pearls. The black slave did not leave his place.
He was by the side of his master. He guarded his master. He cared for the life of his master. He did not care for the master’s pearls. He was the true servant.
The king observed the attitude of the servant and gave him many gifts.
Answer the Following Questions
- How was the black slave going with the king?
- What had the king and what contained in it?
- What happened on the way?
- What did the king say to his slaves?
- Why did the black slave not pick up the pearls?
- Write the meaning of gather.
- What do you understand after reading the story?